NEF-SUNY 80% STEM Grant ($100 Million)
Summary and Application for School Year 2018-19
by NEF (National Education Foundation), global non-profit leader in K-12 STEM Education
and SUNY (State University of New York), the largest university in the U.S.
Grant Rationale: U.S. students are ranked in the bottom 30% in STEM education globally
Goal: To provide world-class academic (mapped to every state’s standards) and applicational (STEM design contests and awards at the District, State and National levels) STEM+ education to a million K-12 students to prepare them for college and the 21st century jobs
Eligibility: Any school district/school with 35% or more students on free/reduced cost meals, girls schools, minority schools; Others pay a higher fee–call us at 703-823-9999.
Deadline: July 31, 2018. Grants are awarded to the first 200 applicants.
1. At least 70% of K-8 students would advance a grade level in math (same for reading) during the school year, if the students actively work on our program for 60 minutes a week for 35 weeks
2. Every High School/Career Tech student will have an opportunity to earn SUNY college credits for a low, 90% subsidized fee of $60 per SUNY credit hour (vs $680 regular fee)
Your Cost: The cost per student per year for proving the world-class the STEM+ program is $2,450. With NEF providing 80% grant, your cost drops to $490. Funds can come from Title I, other Federal, state, foundation, and other sources.
What You Get: For the $490 you pay per student per year, you will receive the following, as part of NEF’s Total System Solution called PSL-MMP- TCHP:
- Personalized learning courses mapped to your state standards (top-rated SuccessMaker for K-8 math & ELA, GradPoint for 9-12 STEM, ELA, Social Studies & SAT/ACT, Digital Literacy for middle and high schools, and Skillsoft for Career Tech IT/Business/Professional Development) for every participating student
- Stipend for the Director of the program, principals and teachers
- LMS (state-of-the art)
- Motivational rewards for students (cash, gift certificates, Minecraft licenses for STEM Design Contests, etc.)
- Professional Development, and teacher/parent job skills training (in 200+ IT and Business certifications with world-class online courses and live online mentors and videos)
- Tech support by SUNY and weekly evaluations
- College Credits from the State University of New York (SUNY) for $50 /credit, an 80% subsidy
- Hands-on STEM such as Robotics mapped to NGSS- national science standards
- Pathway for STEM Careers
Call NEF at 703-823-9999 for assistance